Monday, October 17, 2011

one sweet day

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Nick and I are sitting in the "solace" room located in the cancer institute at St. Joseph's Hospital. We're eating Chipotle, and watching the Tenessee football game. Let me first clarify something...

NICK DOESN'T HAVE CANCER!

Squirrel note: patients are moved from the ER to this floor due to over-flow. Apparantly there were a shortage of beds at the main hospital, so this is where we ended up. I will say, the little transporter girl could have let us know this tid bit of valuable info as she was taking us from our original room 521 to F313. Poor nurses had a heck of a time getting me to calm down, and assuring me that Nick's a non cancer patient on a cancer floor. Period.

Moving on...

In between taking bites of my chicken taco, I asked him, "Do you know what today is?"
He thought for a moment, smiled and said, "The day I proposed to you?" It was more of a question kind of answer...never the less...he remembered.

Impressive kid!

Rewind 6 years ago.

I remember like it was yesterday. Nick told me he was taking me to look at hunting property. This idea didn't thrill me in the least, but figured I could atleast get a nice dinner out of it, so I agreed. After almost 2 hours of driving, I ask if we're getting close...I'm not a good long distance traverler. I kind of revert back into a impatient child, and can get really annoying. "Almost," he says, "I think your going to like it."

We end up parking at a beautiful spot on the beach at Amelia Island, and there was a lady with three horses waiting on us.

Like an airhead, I still haven't the slightest clue what's going on. Sunset, beach, horses, boyfriend, decoy... really, Kristin?

Really.

So off we go, and I'm not going to lie, I'm feeling like a actress in a movie as my horse trots softly in the sand, and surf. The sun was begining to set, and it was a beautiful night. Perfection.

Nick stops, gets off his horse, and walks over to me. I'm trying to figure out how to get down off the saddle, and he stops me. He said, "I kinda thought I would do this differently, but I want you to stay on your horse."

I don't remember every word after that...but I do remember the best part.

"Will you make me the happiest man alive, and spend the rest of your life with me?"

Y'all, I'm not one to brag, but I do think I have one of the BEST proposal's around.

Oh, and the best part, besides me saying "YES," we have some pretty great pictures...thanks to our sweet horse lady. Somehow Nick slipped her his camera, and she captured the moments that always make me smile.



And here we are...6 years later, eating chips, and salsa, sitting in the hospital, and remembering the day our lives changed forever.

Life is good.

Love,
K

1 comment:

  1. i love it!! the pictures are amazing...the last one is SOOO beautiful!! so glad you shared this story! good job Nick :)
    thinking of you all so much...sending lots of love and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete